- Iron Deficiency – Medical Food
Principal Investigator(s) and Department
- Iron deficiency is the most common and widespread nutritional disorder worldwide, affecting up to 2 billion people.
- Symptoms include extreme fatigue, weakness, chest pain, headaches, motor and/or cognitive development in children.
- A review and meta-analysis of forty-three clinical trials, comprising 6,831 iron deficient subjects, found intolerance to oral iron supplements due to GI distress in up to 50 percent of patients.
- Patented Medical Food technology platform, Siderosorb, delivers therapeutic proteins/complexes directly to the GI tract.
- BioFe is the first medical food product, utilizing Baker’s yeast to express the human H-Ferritin gene, FTH1, allowing direct delivery to the bloodstream from the intestine in the non-toxic Fe+3 state.