The mission of Research Development at Penn State College of Medicine is to grow the College of Medicine’s research portfolio by increasing investigator competitiveness for securing external grants. Research Development routinely collaborates with other business units throughout the Penn State system to cultivate sponsored funding opportunities.
Faculty members and research support staff can avail themselves of a range of concierge services provided:
- Identification and dissemination of funding opportunities
- Coordination of the internal down-select for limited competitions
- Connection of faculty members with potential collaborators and mentors
- Funding searches, and advisement on funding strategy
- Training opportunities (e.g., seminars, workshops) to help researchers build grant-seeking skills
- Library of winning proposals and proposal resources
- Targeted proposal support for external proposal submissions
Research Development partners with Hanover Research to provide proposal consultation and review services to faculty members at the College of Medicine. Learn more about the Hanover partnership here.
Jump to topic
Research Concierge Services Offered
Research Development works with investigators seeking to strengthen their research portfolio. Investigators may request a consultation to:
- Identify and evaluate funding opportunities
- Help identify potential research mentors and/or collaborators
- Connect with institutional resources
- Guide the development of project concept papers
- Receive guidance on program officer communications
- Analyze reviewer feedback from an unfunded proposal
Upon request, Research Development will conduct a search for funding opportunity announcements for faculty who would like funding options for individual research projects or career development opportunities. We will also do fellowship and funding searches for graduate students, MD/PhD students and medical students.
If you would like us to do a search for you, please email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A very short lay summary of your anticipated project
- The amount required for the project and the anticipated duration
- An NIH biosketch, CV or resume
- Any additional information that might be helpful to us in narrowing down appropriate funding sources
The Research Concierge Service offers a directory of funding search engines, where researchers can explore a variety of opportunities.
Since May 2016, Penn State College of Medicine has maintained a partnership with Hanover Research to provide proposal support services to faculty members. PIs with a primary appointment at the College of Medicine who plan to submit a research proposal to an external sponsor can request a variety of services from Hanover Research. The RCS manages the pipeline of projects undertaken by Hanover.
We work with individual investigators and established teams to develop a research idea.
- Conduct brainstorming sessions to identify areas of shared research interest
- Obtain information on previously funded projects to assess sponsor funding priorities
- Help to develop a concept paper to communicate with potential funding sponsors, collaborators and supporters
We provide strategic support for the development of complex funding proposals (e.g. center grants, training grants, program project grants) that will be submitted to an external funding organization. Priority is given to projects with potential for broad institutional impact. Services are tailored to the specific needs of each project and the lead time available prior to the sponsor deadline. Research Development’s decision to become involved with any given project is determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Organize team meetings with the PI and key personnel to facilitate proposal development
- Provide counsel on institutional commitment and institutional requirements
- Develop project schedules to keep the team on track
- Develop proposal checklists to ensure compliance with submission requirements
- Prepare the PI for discussions with funding sponsors
- Draft non-technical components of the proposal (e.g. support letters, org charts)
- Review and provide feedback on draft documents (e.g. biosketches)