In order for us to archive and distribute to you the eventual data from your experiments, you need to set up a (free) account in our Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), which takes a few days to get approved by IT.
For External Users Only
If you are an external user – that is, you don’t have an @psu.edu or @pennstatehealth.psu.edu email address – you or someone in your labs needs a “Friend of Penn State” (FPS) ID, which can be obtained by following the instructions here.
Once You Have a Penn State Access Account
You need to set up a LabLink Clarity LIMS account, and once this LIMS account is approved (you will receive an email), you will need to go into the LabLink site and import the appropriate Excel Sample Submissions spreadsheet for the sample into Clarity LabLink.
The Sample Submission Forms can be downloaded from the Procedures and Forms section on the Mass Spectrometry pages on the College of Medicine Infonet, available to users on the Hershey, PA, campus (login required). These Excel-based forms can be automatically uploaded to get your Sample information into the LIMS system once you have filled out the Excel sheets fully and clicked the “Update” button in each sheet.
If you are off-campus and need access to these forms, please contact Anne Stanley at email@example.com.
Submitting Samples in Clarity LabLink LIMS
- Select “Submit Samples” on the left of the entry screen.
- Choose “Create a new project”, enter the project name, and select Project Type “Proteomics & Mass Spectrometry” then use the other drop-down boxes and/or type in all needed information to create the Project under which you want to organize this and similar samples.
- Select “Import a sample spreadsheet” and then click “Choose File” to find the Excel Spreadsheet you filled out on your computer, then select “Next.”
- If there are any errors with your Excel Sample Submission Sheet, an error message will show up in red type, and you will have to correct the sample submission sheet and re-submit (for example, required fields that are missing, etc.). If you cannot figure out how to correct the Sample Submission Sheet, please contact Bruce Stanley at firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching the “problem” Sample Submission Sheet to the email.
- Once your Sample Submission Sheet has all the required information in it, you will see another screen. Please read carefully, and indicate your agreement by clicking “Agree.”
- You will then see a screen which you should print, sign and include with your physical sample submission, along with a hardcopy printout of your original Sample Submission Sheet. This allows us to know exactly what your sample is called, what type of sample it is, where the information for the sample is located in the LabLink Clarity LIMS system, and what you want done with your sample, information which is now permanently archived in the LabLink Clarity LIMS system as well for your future reference, e.g., when preparing manuscripts etc.
- After printing, you can click Done, which will return you to the top level of the LabLink Clarity LIMS system, where you can either submit additional Sample or Project information, or Log Out.
Delivering Physical Samples
Physical samples and the printed information from above (signed LIMS sheet, and printed Sample Submission Excel sheet) should be delivered to room C1734 at Penn State College of Medicine, notifying Anne Stanley, Suja Maddukuri, Bruce Stanley, Dongxiao Sun or Kathy Stauffer that you are dropping off samples so that they can be stored properly (Freezer B) and the paperwork properly noted.
From our University Park Campus, if you notify us of exactly when delivery can occur (check with us at 717-531-6087), your samples can be sent using the Campus Shuttle. (Note that no dry ice containers are accepted).
The package you send must have the address and contact information below clearly marked on it, and must also be accompanied a completed University Shuttle Transport Form.
Address for all shipments:
Section of Research Resources
Penn State College of Medicine
500 University Drive
Hershey, PA 17033-2390
Telephone: 717-531-6087 or 717-531-0003, ext. 285219 (Kathy Stauffer)
Researchers from other universities and companies can ship samples to the above address using FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc., just be certain to ship in conditions that will maintain your sample quality during the time required to deliver the samples here. No Saturday or Sunday deliveries can be accepted.